About Me

My photo
Hi. I"m living in the Northeast with my supportive hubby, 2 great girls and toddler son. I run a home based business around scrapbooking and rubber stamping and love everything about those crafts! I also work p/t as a Physician Assistant in Internal Medicine...back after a 10 year hiatus to take care of the kids--loving that, too!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

P is for...Physician Assistant

Something that you may not know about me is that I am a Physician Assistant.  You probably don't know this because I am not currently practicing medicine.  In fact, I have never practiced in New Jersey-although I have been employed in both North Carolina and New York.  Ever since Yasmeen was an infant, I said goodbye to my scrubs and hello to parenting.  Soon after, Leena joined our family and most recently, Adam.  Now that Adam is two, I have been toying with the idea of returning to medical practice.  Although I'm torn about the implications and complications that working in medicine again  might cause in our lives, I'm also excited about the possibilities ahead.  It's been a while since I have been employed outside the home in any capacity, and at times I miss the camaraderie and energy I would find in the workplace.  Of course, I also am aware that I would miss being here for the kids any time they needed me, and for Adam right now...that's every day, all day.  He's still young, so I haven't made any definite moves into the work-a-day world, but have been putting out feelers to see how I would be received "out there" should I choose to go back to work.

It's been almost 15 years that I graduated with my Masters of Health Sciences from Duke University.  Back then, I could have never predicted that my professional life would have been put on hold to raise a family, but through the support of my dedicated husband, that is exactly what I did.  I love being a stay-at-home mom and am grateful every day for the chance I have to be here for my kids.  When the time comes to focus on my career once again, my hope is to find a practice that complements my commitments to both career and family.  

For those of you not familiar with the role of a Physician Assistant in medical practice, PA's are specially trained, mid-level providers of medical care that are able to diagnose and treat disease, as well as write prescriptions (including controlled substances), order and interpret laboratory studies, and develop and implement patient care plans. They are required to maintain a high level of competency by passing an initial national certification exam, and recertifying every 2 years via the submission of Continuing Medical Education (CME) and every 7 years by the successful completion of a written recertifying examination.   PAs can be found in all areas of medicine including, but not limited to Family Practice and Pediatrics.  Many of my colleagues from graduate school have in fact chosen a specialty area of practice, such as Orthopedics, Cardiology or Surgery.  PAs are recognized as important members of the health care team and are employed in a variety of settings. 

No comments: