About Me

My photo
Hi. I"m living in the Northeast with my supportive hubby, 2 great girls and toddler son. I run a home based business around scrapbooking and rubber stamping and love everything about those crafts! I also work p/t as a Physician Assistant in Internal Medicine...back after a 10 year hiatus to take care of the kids--loving that, too!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Slowly checking things off my list...

Seems like any time that I think might be a "slow" time for me...you know, a time to finally sit back and exhale, drink a hot cup of coffee and just "be"...turns into a wild ride full of deadlines and a loooong to do list. There are calls to make, appointments to get to, TAXES to be done, and classes to prep for. I hate to admit it, but I am a procrastinator. Yep, if the deadline isn't looming in the distant future, I just can't get the mojo flowing enough to tackle that task ahead of time. Seems I'm an adrenaline junkie at heart, because if the stress levels aren't high and my heart isn't pounding from worry and distress, I just won't do it. With that said, it's no wonder that I've been pounding away at the pavement, running here and there and making myself (and everyone in this house) a little crazy as I prepare for my upcoming classes this week. I'm teaching a "Stamp-a-stack" card class for the 1st time and the prep work was horrendous. Unfortunately, as inexperience dictates, I described the class as an evening to make10DIFFERENT cards, where I usually make only 6 in total, AND I repeat 3 designs twice (much less stressful). So, I've spent the better part of last week, and ALL of this weekend coming up with TEN easily reproducible cards (that still challenge my students), and have had to put off doing a few other things on my list. Luckily, I finished up before dinner, had a chance to clear my work desk (considering the stacks of stamps, punches, paper, ribbon, inks and adhesives that NEED to stay there) and worked on something much more exciting...my next layout for Yesterday & Today.

We are officially in Week 3 and this week's assignment was to choose 6 random childhood memories to document. Part of the challenge for me, and one of the reasons I signed up for this class, is that I don't have that many childhood photos and even less inspiration to tell any childhood stories (my memory is fading a tad too quick). And of the stories I may want to tell, and the photos I do have, the stories don't actually go with the photos. So, I pulled out whatever boxes and albums of photos I had (before my digital conversion) and got to work trying to find inspiration. Low & behold, I had more pictures than I thought. I scanned the originals and printed copies of 6 that had some type of memory or story behind them. Part of what we learned this week is that even if you don't have the details (date, place, names, etc...), you can still scrap an "emotional" story about how a particular picture or memory makes you FEEL. This is totally mind-blasting I tell you! I am sort of a logical, orderly-minded person, and if my story isn't "whole" then I wasn't going to document it until I either remembered everything (fat chance) or I just put it aside until what I DID remember faded with time. So sad, people...so sad. Imagine all the stories you could tell based solely on how you FELT? Liberating, isn't it? So this is what I came up with (thanks to Ali Edwards awesome tutorials and class supplies). They are random memories, told in a stream of consciousness journaling style that is comfortable for me. These aren't grand events or occasions, just what I remember or felt about a given experience or time period in my past.










































I am loving this layout...it may not be as fancy as some of my other layouts, but it is truly all about the STORY. I was so inspired I asked Mohammed to start documenting some stories of his childhood he wants to record, but he wasn't feeling the love for this task...YET. So people, if you are the least bit inclined towards or interested in family heritage, genealogy or scrapbooking, you have got to take this class at some point. It's awesome!! Besides, who can tell your story better than you?
In the words of Ali..."Stop thinking that nobody will care. Having a 1st person perspective on your own story is meaningful beyond what we can really comprehend. You are the only one that can tell your story in your own special, unique voice". So what if you're not into paper and glue? I know that we're not ALL into scrapping (GASP!!), but you can write your story in whatever way you see fit. Tell your stories to your friends and family. Use a computer, your voice, or a pen. In the end, the story is all that matters. And with that, my friends, I sign off for today!!


No comments: