About Me

My photo
Hi. I"m living in the Northeast with my supportive hubby, 2 great girls and toddler son. I run a home based business around scrapbooking and rubber stamping and love everything about those crafts! I also work p/t as a Physician Assistant in Internal Medicine...back after a 10 year hiatus to take care of the kids--loving that, too!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering 911, and the start of a new school year...

Well, what a day to post. It's the 6th anniversary of the World Trade Center tragedy and a day I will never forget. I often think of the moment I heard about what had happened. Mohammed called me on my cell phone as I was driving home from a park playdate with my then, 18 month old, Yasmeen tucked safely into her car seat. Hard to believe I was also over 8 months pregnant with Leena on that fateful day. I remember the fear I suddenly felt knowing that my sister worked in the downtown area just blocks from the WTC. I remember hearing later how she feared for her life as police ushered everyone over the bridge by foot, and then quickly yelled that it was the next terrorist target and she was forced to literally run for her life. I remembered watching the news on TV-being glued to it, in fact, and then realizing that my sister-in-law's office building was directly next to the second tower (she witnessed the crash). I remember how senseless and tragic it all was and I felt sorrow for all of those that perished on that day, and even sadder for all the families left behind. I think what got me most was all the pregnant wives who lost their husbands on that day. It hit close to home for me, and I can't help but think about all those babies who were born shortly after 911 (like Leena), and are now entering kindergarten. Hard to imagine it's 6 years later! Hoping that those children have had the memories of their dads passed on to them...and ever so grateful that our family was spared from personal tragedy on that day.

So, here we are beginning a new school year-it's our 4th day, in fact, and it's going strong. Leena is finally in 1/2 day kindergarten (at least it's EVERY day, unlike pre-school). Yasmeen is happily settling into 2nd grade. They both love their teachers and (thankfully) know people in their classes. Even though Leena was worried about the bus ride, she hopped on without any problems and has been doing great. I am happy for them both, and also glad that I didn't break down and shed any tears on that first day--after all, my "baby" is starting kindergarten already and growing up much too fast!

As for me, I've been running non-stop since they started school and haven't had time yet to enjoy my "free" afternoons. Between grocery shopping trips and other miscellaneous errands that are better done sans kids, Girl Scouts, dance classes, and all the rest, I am looking forward to when I finally get a little time to myself. Can't wait to get my creative juices flowing again and get back to SCRAPBOOKING! At least I have these great pictures for motivation!

No comments: