About Me

My photo
Hi. I"m living in the Northeast with my supportive hubby, 2 great girls and toddler son. I run a home based business around scrapbooking and rubber stamping and love everything about those crafts! I also work p/t as a Physician Assistant in Internal Medicine...back after a 10 year hiatus to take care of the kids--loving that, too!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

And the month flew by...

It's already September...where did the month of August go??  It was both a busy, and quiet, month for us in August. Yes, busy in that I started working p/t again and that entailed hiring a babysitter, setting up childcare for the Fall, getting used to my new "work wardrobe" and actually putting some thought into getting ready BEFORE the next day arrives as well as lots of cooking.  No, I don't usually cook on the days I work, but it was also Ramadan this August, so I had to make sure there was food, and plenty of it, most days this past month.  We celebrated EID on the last day of August and since it was a work day, and I couldn't find anyone to cover for me, I wound up taking off the morning only, and then heading into the office for the afternoon.  The rest of the gang dropped me off and picked me up, so at least we maximized the time we had together.  We spent the morning attending EID prayer, going to the mall for a bite to eat at The Cheesecake Factory and doing a little shopping with the girls at Claire's (THE place for all types of accessories--very TWEEN friendly!).  Then it was off to work.

Before I knew it, it was Labor Day Weekend and we were invited down to Virginia to spend the weekend at a rental house near Shenandoah National Park with my sister, her husband and their 3 dogs.  Coincidentally, it was also the weekend of Mohammed and my 13th wedding anniversary, so we accepted their offer and headed South! It was a great trip--one that was much needed as we've been laying low all summer due to the horrific expenses associated with me going back to work.  At least we ended the summer with a bang--and I even got to take a few steps on the APPALACHIAN TRAIL as it crossed into Shenandoah.  Still holding on to my goal to hike this trail someday in the future...even if it is only in sections, and even if I have to wait until I'm in my 60s to do it! We got back on Labor Day Monday in the mid afternoon--exactly 14 hours before Leena and Yasmeen would have to wake up and start their new school year.

That was 2 days ago...the 1st day of school.  It was crazy and hectic and happened in the blink of an eye. We woke up and got ready to go pretty uneventfully...we all even managed to get out of the house to take Leena to the bus stop...but once we got back to the house, time got away from us and we actually MISSED Yasmeen's bus!  First, there was the struggle to get Adam to eat something before attending daycare (his first full day), then I remembered I had to renew my subscription to a medical reference tool on my phone that I use all the time, and I couldn't connect to the website.  When I finally did, I'd run out of time to download the software so I had to leave home without it.  Then it was a mad dash for Mohammed to get Yasmeen to school on time, and for me to get everything I needed for work, plus everything Adam needed for daycare and get out the door with enough time to make it to work for 9:30.  Well, that didn't happen.  Halfway to daycare, I realize I'd left his sippy cup on the kitchen counter and headed back home. By the time we started driving, Adam started having a meltdown.  He cried, screamed, kicked, threw his sippy cup at me, grabbed my shirt, kicked and cried some more.  He did NOT WANT TO GO TO DAYCARE.  It was horrible...HORRIBLE, and to make matters worse (or better in the long run), he had 2 new teachers and didn't know either one of them.  All the visits that we made ahead of time to get him used to the new schedule was for nill!  He shed some more tears and I shed some too.  When I finally walked out the door he was being held back by one of the teachers as he screamed for me to get him.  I HATED LEAVING HIM.  It was horrible...did I mention that?  How do parents do this EVERY DAY????

Once I composed myself enough to start driving to work, I realized it was already 9:10am and I'm about 30 minutes away.  I rushed and got there about 5 minutes late, which was miraculous, actually.  Patients were waiting and I was busy, so the morning flew by.  When I checked in on Adam at lunchtime, the teacher informed me that he had calmed down and was now sleeping.  I called our babysitter and told her she should pick him up BEFORE Leena to avoid any more time at daycare than necessary...thank GOD for her!!

I was able to leave work on the early side and made it home even before Mohammed.  Adam ran up to me, hugged me, and exclaimed "I went to school today", and then quickly ran back to the sofa and claimed his spot next his beloved babysitter.  I was happy to see him not crying and feel that it will only get better with time.

Yesterday, I was off, so I took Yasmeen to the bus stop and took my "First Day of School" pictures on her 2nd day.  I spent the day running errands with Adam, who was all to happy to accompany me.  When we got home, we watched TRAINS! on YouTube and then headed upstairs for a nap.  By the time he got up it was time to get Leena, so off we went.  Then it was Back To School Night at Leena's school, so our babysitter came over on her "day off".

Today, we got a call early this morning that there was a delayed opening for our township schools...thankfully, Mohammed was able to wait with the girls.  Lots of rain overnight and flooding again in town today.  Then another call came in and school was cancelled.  HEADACHES!! Mohammed was able to stay with them for the day while I headed to work.  We told the babysitter to save herself the hassle of trying to get to us and go home. It took me about an hour to get to work, for what normally would take me 25 minutes.  Road closures and back ups were horrific.  Getting home was tricky, too, but I made it in about 45 minutes.  Glad to say that I'm home tomorrow, even if I'm covering the office this Saturday.  Love that it's not every week, and love my part time schedule.

Hope everyone has a safe (and DRY) weekend!!


























No comments: